Friday, May 30, 2014

Lemon + Thyme


Almost daily, I whip up a lemon-thyme vinaigrette, toss it with arugula and wolf it down with dinner.  I love the bite and saltiness with the peppery greens.  Lemons and thyme are staples in my kitchen, I use them in so many things, from brines to homemade cleaners.  Grind leftover lemon and thyme in the garbage disposal sometime, it's wonderful.  This pair is also really good for you.  Lemon is astringent and thyme is rich in antioxidants. I thought I'd share a few summer inspired lemon-thyme concoctions with you to try over the weekend.  xo, Heather


Here's something to make for your next summer BBQ. Grab a decent handful of thyme, and thin slices of lemon rind, wedge into a spray bottle and fill with water.  Chill in the fridge and use as a body mist to cool off on a hot day. Place the bottle in an ice bucket on a picnic table for guests.  You can use experiment with your herbs. Lavender, mint, rosemary and rose petals would all be wonderfully aromatic and soothing.



I am a big fan of tzatziki. It's both refreshing and satisfying.  Try this twist using quark, a lower fat fresh cheese with a creaminess and natural tang similar to yogurt.  I zested a teaspoon each of lemon rind and thyme (stems removed), added a decent pinch of flaky sea salt to make this version.



Cut up cucumber spears and portion into 8oz glass jars filled with 2oz of the quark for a grab and go snack.


And here's that vinaigrette recipe.  Is it a vinaigrette if it doesn't call for vinegar?  Tried and true, whisk or shake 1 part olive oil to 2 parts lemon juice with a little freshly minced garlic, a pinch or two of sea salt and plenty of fresh thyme leaves. You can drizzle this over grilled chicken and shelfish, toss pasta, marinate beets, or use as a salad dressing.  It's so versatile and a great alternative to vinegar based dressing. 



4 comments:

  1. The beautiful photography itself is so soothing! <3 <3 The summers over here reach even higher than 50 degrees. Must give this is a try!
    -Nash @ onceuponherdream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good golly that's hot! You definitely need some mist, and a pool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks so good! I love tzatziki so I will definitely have to give this a try! Pinned! I'd love it if you shared this over at The Makers link party going on at my blog, UpcycledTreasures.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this idea. I often pair lemon with rosemary or lavender. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...