Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Yard Part 3- People with Dark Houses


Over the next few months we'll be knee deep into the exterior projects.  First off we'll be replacing the deck off the back of the house, a major undertaking, it will wrap around the side of the house and connect to the front yard gate, allowing us to bypass the existing stairs which are dangerous and pretty ugly. I'll be sharing that project when it begins in a couple of weeks, but for now, I need some advice.  After the deck goes up the painters come in, and I need to make some decisions.  We're going dark, really dark, I want the house to recede and pop at the same time. Here are the inspiration photos ranging from dull gray to navy to almost black (believe me, I'd paint it black if I wasn't afraid of the neighbors). I like the hint of blue that you see in many of the options.  Let me know which is your favorite.  I'll post another before picture of the current paint job at the end.








Here's our house, new fence, we'll be losing the shutters, and the color blocking...


And here are my favorites from the Benjamin Moore color decks. 

 All photos sourced from Houzz , with the exception of the photo of my house and the swatches.

5 comments:

  1. Love all these colors. I love the dark grey and wood doors and trim. It's a gorgeous combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like where you're going with this! Casting my vote for Evening Dove, then Blue Note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm...my choices are blue note, then abyss. I love the property with the navy stucco and walnut windows and doors. Love all of the pictures you showed. What will you be color blocking? Window trim against the stucco and siding below? Are you painting the stucco and siding the same color? Thanks for sharing.

    Katie B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these deep blue grays. My mother and stepfather painted their house a deep dark blue a few years ago, and though the conservative neighbors in their small WI town were not thrilled, it worked. The house was designed by a friend of the family who was a Frank Lloyd Wright apprentice, and the low profile of the house with the dark paint does just as you say, recede and pop at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the feedback! I am leaning darker, maybe Abyss or Soot? We'll see once we get some samples on the wall. Not gonna color block, I want to paint the wood and the stucco the same color to under design it, right now it's so broken up that it seems messy. FINGERS CROSSED, this is a big commitment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...