Wednesday, August 20, 2014

No. 5


We did it.  The house is dark as night, the yard is landscaped, and the deck is up. I thought I'd share some pictures of the new and improved front of the house.  It's like a dream driving up to it now.  We settled on Benjamin Moore "Gravel Grey", which actually had a little less blue in it than some of the other colors I had in mind. In some lights it looks pure grey, in others it looks a bit navy. The trim is "White Dove" and for the door we thought it might be fun to do a pop of color in "Yellow Finch", which has a bit of a green undertone, and picks up on a lot of what we are growing in the front garden.


Our plan is to let the fences gray out a bit more, then seal it before the rainy season. The landscaping should more than double in size by this time next year (seriously, I can't wait).  Here's a reminder of where we started.








We hung the new house numbers, mailbox, and wall sconces.  I put in a fall fern garden on the front porch in some tall galvanized planters from CB2.  



After a lot of debate we actually chose these jelly jar style sconces for over the garage and as a a porch light.  I wanted something really understated, and everything that I was liking was really too expensive.  These sconces are under $10 each.  For $30 I figured I could change my mind later, but now that they are up, filled with clear bulbs, I think they look pretty sharp.


We are still finishing up the siding on the deck.  The cable rails are up, fascia board is in place, so all that is left to do is to enclose the storage area with finished fence boards and seal the thing.  Building this deck was the best decision we could have made, it completely changed how we use our space. I'm out there everyday.  More on that soon...


5 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks great! Can't wait to see the finished deck project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! I can't wait to have the deck finished to show you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing changes ! I love how the greenery really pops against the dark house. and the yellow on the front door is the perfect focal point. also, the new house color really makes your windows look so new and modern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! Love the yellow door with the gray.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...