Friday, August 22, 2014

Wooden Bookmarks


I'll be teaming up with my friends at Blurb again, this time at the Brit+Co conference/festival Re:Make where I'll be leading a book craft at their booth. This part of the event features some incredibly creative makers showcasing textiles, housewares, jewelry and print work.  I had that in mind when I mocked up a few bookmarks made from ultra-thin sheets of birch plywood to test as a craft that festival goers can make while checking out what Blurb has to offer. They need to be easy, but they have to be good.  So here they are. Some are embroidered, some painted. I like the idea of gift giving a good book and a handmade bookmark; it's simple and thoughtful. I still read real books, because I like the weight and the way the paper feels in my hands, plus they make great coasters...


To make a wooden bookmark, head to a craft store and pick up some 1/64" thick birch plywood sheets, found in the woodworking/wooden dowel section.  Using a sharp blade, cut with the grain, into 6"x2" pieces.  I made these samples using a small hole punch dotted 1cm apart up each side of the bookmark and threaded a cross-weave down the length with embroidery thread, securing the ends with a knot and dot of glue.  To make the painted version, I used washi tape to mark triangles and painted with a coat of acrylic paint, allowing to dry for 5 minutes before removing the tape.  Both versions take about 5 minutes of work time to create.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...